Saturday, October 25, 2014

Patron Saint

When I was young,
I was called to my life's ambition.
I imagined this is what prophets felt like
speaking to a burning bush
or hearing God's voice from the heavens.

And I made the mistake
of sharing this guarded secret
with the world.

Their response made it seem
like I was crazy
like I was a heretic.

Some gave me tight smiles and platitudes
that somehow still told me
that I would change my mind.
Some told me outright
that I was too young to make this decision,
that I was too smart to squander my talents,
that they knew me better than I did.

I remained stubborn and sure
despite public opinion.

I tested the waters
and fell in love with the ocean,
so sure it wouldn't drown me.

I had mentors who were living my dream
who told me to change my mind,
not to follow their example.
I swallowed their bitterness in silence
but had no doubt that, in this,
they were wrong.

Years of hard work,
of blood, sweat, and tears,
I was finally able to answer my calling.

In all those years no one asked
where the call had come from.
The burning bush rested inside my chest
and spread like wildfire.

Now body, mind, and soul,
I am glowing with purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment