Monday, February 17, 2014

False Memories #924


“Do you ever wonder about us?”

I had imagined this so many times – this conversation – but somehow I hadn’t ever imagined it like this, without any fireworks or skywriting. Instead we stood outside a storefront of a bar, tipsy, with rain drizzling around us. I thought we’d be drunker or that we’d have cigarettes, this seemed like a conversation that could’ve been punctuated with well-timed exhalations of smoke. But we weren’t drunk enough to write this off and we weren’t the same dumb young people who thought cancer burning between their teeth meant we were interesting. We were older now, not much wiser. But wise enough for me to know that I’d been staring a beat too long and he was doing his nervous shuffle from foot to foot.

“All the time.” I exhaled and it was just cold enough that fog followed my words making it as dramatic as cigarette smoke.

He leveled me with a look of mild surprise, cheeks rosy with the alcohol or the chill it was hard to tell. This was one of those silences that could’ve benefitted from a quick puff of smoke from each of us, to fill the space.

“Me too.” He said, looking away and squinting into the distance.

Being a narrative type, I thought the moment was a tad anti-climactic, and I was reminded how devastatingly non-fictional I was. 

No comments:

Post a Comment