Tuesday, January 15, 2013

apophenia

a smile shared
an inside joke declared
embraces and all sorts of places
barely a moment spent apart
i had hoped it wasn't just me
who saw the lines
who made crude connections between the dots
i had hoped that we were on the same page
like we've always been

but maybe a smile
is just a smile
and an inside joke
just gets stale each time it's said
maybe i'm just making things up inside my head
but i had hoped it was something we both understood
now i'm not so sure
if i'm seeing meaningful patterns
between meaningless occurrences

when you look back
i thought you might see
the lines tying you to me
i thought maybe you as well
were making crude connections between the dots
tell me you do this too
even if it seems like there's few
tell me that you know we're on the same page
like we've always been

because i've always been able to convince myself i'm wrong
and just this once i'd like to be right
maybe you feel the same way
and we're not so off the mark
so tell me, i'm not just making it all up in my head
that you understand just what i mean
and you've seen all the things i've seen
tell me, you see meaningful patterns
in what seems like meaningless occurrences

you must see them too
the constellations between me and you
you see how they light up the night
telling stories bold and bright

tell me that you see it,
our story written across the sky

No comments:

Post a Comment