Thursday, December 29, 2011

Understanding

I wish I were a character,
out of a book,
whose journey was
dramatic and moving
or funny and intelligent.
I wish I said or did the right things,
and I wish someone else was writing it.
Hunched over a desk
writing away my life,
waxing poetic,
making me a hero.
I wish they would write
my lines and actions,
I wish they would write my fate.
I wish I were a protagonist,
in a fantasy land or reality,
battling villains both historical and modern.
I wish my story were relatable
and my personality palatable.
I wish I were timeless
and taught a thousand years from now
in English classes,
I wish my story would be good enough
to ignore and breathe confidence
into every procrastinating student.
I wish they would wing my test and get an ‘A’.
Because that would mean my story
was universal,
that it’s themes and metaphors
had already been done before.
Only then would I be understood.

No comments:

Post a Comment