Friday, July 10, 2009

Holy Matrimony

Professionals say that 41% of marriages end in divorce,
couples fight over furniture and children in court
instead of acknowledging the source of their separation.
Some believe it makes perfect sense
to prevent a vast majority of citizens from partaking in marital bliss.
All their defense lies between bible pages
and bigotry, marriage should not be defined by sexual orientation
or any other manner and affiliation.
"Love is patient, love is kind… it keeps no record of wrongs."
1 Corinthians 13:4 – 5.
I don’t think God meant to deprive
1 out of every 10 human beings of love
and the ultimate symbol of their love: marriage.
Is it not concise enough in that biblical adage?
There are nearly 1500 species expressing homosexuality
and it’s proven not to be a fatality.
Early Romans classified themselves within this sexual identity
yet we treat this as some sort of penalty,
when it’s shown up all throughout history
and literature and art.
Then this must not be some fortuitous coincidence,
being gay is not a choice,
no more than the color of your skin.
It is not a sin,
and neither is love - be it with a man or woman.
God made every human in his image
and with the hope we would not tear each other up in carnage.
And "Jesus loves me this I know, for the bible tells me so."
Believe me when I say
It’s absurd to convey that he did not include my sister.
Who finds comfort in a ‘miss’ rather than a ‘mister’,
I refuse to conform to the notion
that a man and woman is the only marital design
when I find that divorce rates are at an all time high
and we’re keeping same-sex couples from expressing their love.
It’s with a heavy heart that I heave and sigh
in a world that hopes my sister will get married to a guy.
That it’s only right if she does,
why do they wish for something that never was?
I hope I can stand next my sister on her wedding day
where she vows to a woman to honor and love and not betray.

No comments:

Post a Comment